Sunday, July 8, 2007

Well We have Survived.....

another week here. We had rain yesterday and today off and on. John and Brandon had to go get Edward from Surfside because his Jeep broke down. They got it done in between showers today and he was on his way. Was good to see him and meet his girlfriend Jennifer.

Our week has really been eventless. I have been working on getting veggies put up for the winter. Looks like I have to go buy tomatoes to put in the freezer. No one is seeming to get a bushel at the time around here.I have to dump my pickles I made. The first batch was delicious(and gone!) but the second and third batches were really salty. Come to find out, I was supposed to pack them on ice and use rock salt instead of canning salt. I guess that was my first lesson in canning. I did get all my jars sealed and that was the worst fear of canning I had. I also believe I didn't get them rinsed very well.Now I know.
This time I am using a different recipe. I was told about this pack of seasoning that you can get... name is Ball Bread and Butter Pickles and Mrs.Wages Kosher Dill or Dill pickles. I was reading the back of the pack and it says to boil jars,pack jars, boil vinegar,sugar,and seasoning pack,spoon into jars,remove air and seal. Thats it. Sounds easy enough for me I guess.I will have to let them set for up to six weeks for the best flavor. I have a feeling that the first jar won't make it that long around here. I will let you know of the outcome on them.

Well Ms. Ashlyn is now two weeks old and growing like a weed. She can pick her head up and turn it side to side on her own. She can scoot up the bed if you lay her on her belly. She is going to be a fast baby.She is going to have to do something to keep up with all the other ones...LOL.

1 comment:

Vickie said...

Sounds like you have been doing plenty. I should be getting some veggies put up but I can't seem to keep them in the house long enough. I really need to do up some onions and green peppers while the peppers are cheaper. Maybe next year we will have more of a yard to work a garden in.



Contributors